Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Microburst?

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted anything. Busy at home and work I guess, but I haven't been riding, so I haven't had much to post.

But this evening we had a pretty intense storm come through and it left a mark. I wasn't home at the time, but on the drive home from work I noticed lots of small branches and leaves on the road. As I drove down our driveway I saw a large Poplar tree that had broken in half. No real surprise, 'cause Poplar wood is brittle as cheddar cheese.

While eating dinner on the porch I looked out into the woods and saw these trees down, so I had to take a closer look. They are now blocking a section of my singletrack trail, so clearly something must be done.

There are several trees in this clump.



Their problem was that they were trying to grow on this ledge. Poor planning.



This Pine is probably about 16-18" at the base of the trunk.



These Maples just broke. I don't know what kind of pressure it takes to snap an 8-10" Maple...

No comments:

Post a Comment