Loading...

Friday, July 31, 2009

200R progress...

So after Hannah's initial ride at our house we found that the front brakes were not effective. She was still able to take several laps using first gear, and we learned a bit more about the bike.

I took the front wheel off and the brake shoe linings came off in my hand, so that explains why the cable adjustments weren't working. Since I knew I'd have to order new shoes I went ahead and dropped the forks so that I could change the oil, and at the same time I could trim the steering stops down to get a slightly better turning radius.





More to show, but I've been super busy at home and work so there've been many interuptions...maybe I'll catch up this weekend.

Monday, July 20, 2009

XR200R groundwork...




I was able to spend some time on Hannah's new ride on Sunday. I was pleasantly surprised as I inspected the bike a little closer. I decided that the first area of concern was the rear wheel, there was a nasty squeal coming from there when I rode it around the yard, and I'd noticed at least one broken spoke. I was able to pull the bearings and found that only one is bad, on the hub side, because the seal is shot. So that was good news. I'll get a new seal and bearing, and when I replace them I'll see if I have some spokes that will work.

Here's one cool thing about XRs, the quick release for the rear brake. You just pull the spring tensioner forward to release the rod, the brake stay is built into the swingarm, and there's an extension on the lower section of the swingarm to hold the wheel/brake/axle assembly. You can switch the whole thing out in seconds if you have a spare. Tres cool.



A keen observer will also note the missing spokes in that photo.

Another nice find, they provided zurk (grease) fittings for the rear suspension. I don't think I've ever seen that on another dirtbike.





After a fresh plug, oil change and clean filter, I think we'll be able to ride it a little bit and see what needs the most attention. One thing I've noticed is that the steering stops are pretty conservative, I may grind them back some to get a better turning radius
I also modified/fabricated a side stand from one I took off of an older CB. Pictures to follow....

Thursday, July 16, 2009

New ride for Hannah!



We just got back from Maine, a quick visit with the Clarkes and a mission to pick up Hannah's new dirt bike. It's an '82 XR200R, "rescued" (ahem) from Aaron's shed. It's going to be a great bike for her, size and power and suspension that she can use. Can't wait to spend some time on it.



She can't either!

I think I'll try to post some progress on this as I go through it. It does have some needs, and there are some interesting details on the bike. For instance, check out how far the forks extend below the front axle! I don't know what they were thinking...