Loading...

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Progress on the YZ125

I've finally been able to spend some time on the YZ125. Got the engine in the frame on Thursday, but then the rest of the day was spent putting snow tires on Volvos. So today was the day to finish up and get it running.

You'll no doubt remember that I blew up the top end at Lake George last year as a result of a bad crank seal. I took the opportunity to "rebuild" the engine at that stage, fresh crank bearings and seals, fresh tranny bearings, fresh piston in the already freshened and bored top end. My only concern was that the tranny didn't feel great when I put it back together in the cases, so I was a bit nervous about how it would shift.

Here's where I was this morning.



It was not much work to get the rest of the bodywork on, fill fluids and give it a once over. It started up on the 3rd kick. Encouraged, I proceeded to do a few laps of the driveway. The tranny felt just fine, so I was relieved. In fact, the bike felt great all around. I rode it in the upper woods a bit, and some easy passes up and down the driveway. I'll run it through a few more heat cycles before I mount the ice wheels.

Since the gas tank graphics were completely shot, I decided to pull the rest of the graphics off the plastic. I may just run it this way, or get a black seat cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment